Friday, April 23, 2010

Fenelon -- Gentleness and Humility


Francois Fenelon was a writer and archbishop of the 16th century.
A dear friend gave me a Lamplighter book called
'Dialogues of Fenelon Vol.II"
It's a little book with just a page or two to read on something he wrote.

Today I was reading on Gentleness and Humility. I want to quote that page as it is very encouraging to me.

'Your remedy for wandering thoughts and want of fervor will be to
set apart regular seasons for reading and prayer;
to mix yourself up in outward matters only when it is necessary;
and to attend more to softening the harshness of your judgment,
to restraining your temper,
and humbling your mind,
than to upholding your opinion even when it is right;
and, finally,
to humble yourself whenever you find that an undue warmth concerning the affairs of others has led you to forget your supreme interest,
Eternity.
"Learn of me," Jesus Christ says to you,
"for I am meek and lowly of heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls."
Be sure that grace,
inward peace,
and the blessing of the Holy Spirit will be with you,
if you maintain gentleness and humility amid all your external perplexities.'

Wow.

Blessings Friends!


1 comment:

  1. Good words. Makes me stop and think! Thanks for sharing, Chelsea!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?